Where do you want to be 5 or 10 years from now?
Easy, I’m not here to pressurize you to have it all figured out. Far from that.
However, I know you have big dreams. A dream home, dream car, dream lifestyle, dream destination, dream career… and what have you.
And maybe you’re on your way to chasing those big dreams. You may be in school studying, have started your own business and could be working on growing it. You may have also found a mentor and people you look up to and tell yourself, one day, it’s gonna be me up there. You got the spirit of a dreamer and everybody needs that!
But you may have realized that, as you chase your dreams, the process seems to be getting harder. There’s so much to learn, competition for opportunities left, right and centre and sometimes, not everyone believes in you or your course. That can be discouraging right?
You may have also realized that we are in the age where instant success is the in thing. Especially with social media, somebody might recognize your talent and boom! You blow up. But that doesn’t happen to most of us, does it?
This has made most of us millennials hungry for success in every way possible. We are even more inspired that we can live our best lives at a really young age . We’ve got 20 somethings that are multi-millionaires, traveling the world and actually having a positive impact on society and we all just can’t wait to get there, if that’s what you desire.
However, this has left some of us feeling pressurized and wondering, “when is it going to be my time?” And as hard as it may be to accept, for most of us, it may take longer than we’d wish for our dreams to come true.Which I actually think is a good thing because:
- We need to gain knowledge and expertise in the area we would want to thrive in, so that we won’t be offering substandard products or services to our employers/ customers.
- We need to grow in character especially in areas concerning patience, humility and the value of hard(& smart) work.
- We obviously need money and fund our dreams
In my book, the planting season, I explain the need to remain faithful and to grow deep roots in the process of planting the seeds of the life we dream of. That way, we will have a strong foundation as we chase bigger goals.
So a little patience, child. Your dreams will come true. You will be a success story. But I do hope you let go of the idea of overnight Success and value the process. As it’s popularly said, trust the process. There are so many valuable lessons to be learnt on the journey to your dreams. Even as you face hurdles, it doesn’t mean you should give up, it means that you should push harder.
So as you chase those big and achievable dreams, remember this:
- Get off the comparison trap. We all have different backgrounds and have to work harder to bring down those barriers on the journey to our dreams. Focus on your own journey and believe that in God’s perfect timing, you’ll get there.
- Don’t be a lazy dreamer . Those goals aren’t gonna achieve themselves. You gotta work!!
- Be willing to be mentored and guided. (If you already have a mentor, good for you! Some of us are still trying to find one). Let go of the “I know it all” mentality. Be humble and take positive criticism. It really helps.
- Be willing to sacrifice your time and money– all free time isn’t just for movies and series. You can use it to improve your craft too. And the money, whether you worked for it or got it from your parents, doesn’t have to be always squandered in partying and drinks. Purchase a course. Save up for something you need to purchase to fund your dream.Be wise with your time and money.
You’ll get there. You will be a success story. Believe it and work for it.
That’s all for today friend 😊. You can also check out my book, The Planting Season, to stay inspired over the weekend, to be intentional, faithful and diligent as you plant the seeds of your dreams (the harvest). Click here to grab a copy.
Got more tips to inspire a fellow millennial on the journey to their dreams? Share them in the comments! We’d love to hear from you.
Stay blessed 💕.